Promotional videos: internal and external, live action and animated.
Lots of people talk about wanting a corporate video when they speak to video production agencies, when what they may actually need is a promo video. The difference between corporate videos and promotional videos is very subtle.
We talk about corporate videos being internal and external. For example a regular internal video from the CEO to all the offices worldwide, or an update from an AGM. Mostly corporate videos are outward looking and introduce people to the business, talking about the background, culture, ethos and value proposition. They provide potential customers an opportunity to understand who they are going to be doing business with.
A promo video is far more focused on specific products, services, events or activities. In the case of a hotel, there might be a corporate video talking about the business at a high level, but then a series of promo videos on weddings, conferences, the spa, restaurant and bedrooms. A large legal firm may have a corporate video on the corporate social responsibility side of the business, but then have a promo video on a specific community event that they are supporting. The story that we want to tell in a promo video is usually much more narrow than a corporate video, and relies more heavily on visuals.
Why would I need a promotional video?
Promo videos are really great for subject matter that is visual as they promote what the viewer is seeing.
“There are occasions when to the viewer, information on the background of the company, who is in charge and what the culture is like just doesn’t matter. Instead there is a need to ‘see’ something in all its glory, or just get key information on the solution to a problem. This is when a promo video delivers a far better outcome than a corporate video does. It isn’t about what you want to say, it’s about what the viewer wants to know. Delivering a clean message without boring information on the company is highly effective.”
What are the benefits of having a promo?
There are many benefits of having a promotional video – we’ve listed just a few below for you.
- Allow you to use visuals to ‘sell’ your product, service or event to viewers more effectively
- Engaging and attention grabbing form of media, that is given preferential treatment on social media
- Can be repurposed by some re-editing, giving the promo video longevity and making the investment more effective
- Focus on specifics rather than diluting the impact with lots of messages for lots of people in the same production
- Choose between voiceover or presenter, or on-screen text and other advanced post production techniques
- It doesn’t have to be live action, it can be animated or motion graphics
- Keep multiple promo videos efficient by keeping them in the same style and sharing resources to produce them
- Shareable and therefore have a much better chance of being pushed through the social networks of viewers to get in front of your ideal customer base
- They can sit on specific pages of your website that relate to whatever you are promoting, boosting SEO
- Far more convincing than a pamphlet or brochure and far easier to amend in the future
Okay, so what are the next steps?
Well we follow our comprehensive process whether it is a live action or an animated video production which you can see on our process page.
- Ultimately the first thing that we would look to do is to get together to discuss what it is that you are looking to achieve and we’ll offer our very best, impartial advice on the best way to accomplish it. So send us message through the contact form or give us a call and we can organise a meeting.
- Next we plan the production in more detail, writing a script, put together a storyboard and/or shot list, organise the logistics for the shoot, or create the assets for an animation.
- Once all the details are nailed down and agreed on both sides we start production, whether this a location shoot or getting the assets into the animation suite.
- When we have the footage we can begin editing, working to the plan we laid out in the storyboard or shot list.
- When it’s finished you’ll get the chance to feedback, and then we’ll finalise the edit and export it so you can start promoting!
How do I get my video seen?
The most important aspect of a promotion is to get as many people to see it as possible. If you are promoting an event, special offer or new service offering there’s going to be an element of timeliness to getting your video out there.
You should consider what different channels you are going to use to reach the most people. Do you have a good social media following? How many people are on your mailing list? Do you have a screen in reception you can play the video on and how many people go past it? How many hits do you get on your website? Do you have good SEO to direct people to the video?
If you have a good social media presence one of the most effective ways of reaching a large audience is by posting it on there. Facebook and LinkedIn are great for advertising campaigns. This means more people than just your followers and contacts will get to see the video.
It’s also really easy to share videos on these networks, which means your contacts can spread the word for you.
If you have a big following on Twitter or Instagram, post your video there, although you should be aware that they have duration caps for video so keep it short and engaging.
If you know your SEO and Google ranking is good and you get a lot of hits on your website, put the video on the page that gets the most views. People spent on average 2.6x more time on pages with video than without.
Examples of Promotional Videos
What Our Clients Say
Nicolle Kane - Marketing Manager, Memset
Square Daisy recently produced two videos, the team made the whole project painless and simple, from scriptwriting to storyboards. While the videos are part of the relaunch of the company next year, they have already proven a hit internally. And we're already planning more for next year! Could not recommend working with Square Daisy enough!
Russ Mckenzie - Managing Director, nTrust
We work with Square Daisy on both web and video projects and have always found them to be extremely professional and a joy to work with. While they are highly process driven to ensure clients get what they need first time, this doesn't compromise the creative way that they approach every project to ensure an engaging and innovative video production. Can't recommend them highly enough.
Olivia Pattullo - Project Manager, Experience Guildford
From the first meeting on, Jovan and Amy were total superstars and made us feel like the task was completely achievable and had really clear ideas about how they were going to present it all. Aside from making the whole process as easy as possible for us, we couldn't have been happier with the end result and were really impressed that such a brilliant product was delivered in very tight timescales.
Giles Thomas - Operations Director, The Manor Collection Hotels
We have contracted Square Daisy on several occasions to help market the Manor Collection Hotels. They have always been very professional and offered a fantastic service from proposal to completion. Jovan and Amy have been a delight to work with and we wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone.
Chris Veale - Director, Shippo
I can't talk highly enough of Square Daisy. Over the last couple of years they've made our business 4 fantastic videos. The first, an animated video to explain the service, has been viewed tens of thousands of times and has been a window to our service offering for potential customers. The others were 'talking heads' to allow us to explain more complicated aspects of the industry. The design, editing, videography and project management is exceptional and I will be using them again.
James Groves - Marketing Services Manager, Raven Housing Trust
We approached Square Daisy with a brief to produce a video that would help us get our messages across to our customers in a simple, yet engaging way. They absolutely nailed it. The animation video they produced for us is professional, quality, and it gets our messages across really well. It's been a pleasure working with Jovan and Amy, and we look forward to working with them on future projects.
Dave Povey - Founder and MD, Catchy
Recently had a video produced by square daisy for my new product. The service that I received from start to finish was 100%, couldnt fault them at all! Everything was done to how I imagined it and more, and the finished product was excellent. Would recommend them to anyone.