Think about the last time that you bought a product. There is a very good chance that you purchased it after seeing a picture of it, or having experienced it in real life through a friend, relative or colleague.
With all the options available, and the amount of shopping we do online, it is important that we feel confident in handing our credit card details over in exchange for a product. Especially as we don’t have the benefit of picking up a product and touching it, feeling it, or exploring it.
How can a product video help?
We work in the same office building as a really successful shipping company called Shippo who specialise in shipping products that are sold online from Asia to the UK. What these guys have forgotten about global logistics and selling products online is more than most of us will know in a lifetime, so they have a good amount of credibility!
The Managing Director helps clients to understand how to sell their products in the UK, as obviously more sales means more demand, which means more square footage bought from him on a big boat to get it from A to B. They speak with hundreds of small businesses who sell their products online through eBay, Amazon and using their own websites each year. He has noticed a distinctive pattern that using a professional product video features heavily in what the most successful of those are doing. Here is what Chris said:
I’ve spoken with three of four fast growing eTailers in the last month who have seen a huge upturn in sales after uploading product videos into their eBay listings and onto their websites. They all felt that anything but the most simple item needed more than just photos to display the product effectively. One customer in particular pointed specifically to his product videos for his eBike conversion kit sales increasing 5 fold year on year.
What other kinds of product videos are there?
It doesn’t just have to be a consumer product video, there are so many ways videos can help to promote your product:
- Engineering and manufacturing – in this field companies have, or make, equipment and components that are very engaging to the intended audience. Lots of moving parts turning into something created at the end is amazing to catch on video, either as pure product promo videos or as part of case studies
- Pitch videos – lots of people are inventing or re-imaging products to be sold, but often need more money to market or produce these things. Crowdfunding is a real revolution in the products arena, and almost every successful crowdfunding pitch will have a professional product video associated with the campaign.
- Explainer / how to use videos – those of you reading who have children will understand the pain that comes with putting together, fitting a pram or car seat. Why not create a video and have a little QR code that says ‘scan to see how to fit this’? Instead of reading a convoluted 2D instruction book you can just run through, visually how to do what you’re trying to do on your phone
- Delivering a service – There are only so many hours in the day to offer a service and therefore you are always limited by the amount of money you can make. However, if you productise that service- impart your knowledge through video tutorials purchased as part of a suite, what you offer to people is now scalable and potentially lucrative
These are just some other examples of how product videos can be used. We’ve added an example of another pitch video below, and also one which contains information on how we help engineering and manufacturing firms shout about their products.
How do you make a product video?
- What is the objective of the video / what do you want people to do or know after they’ve watched it?
- Who are the people that are watching it and what are their issues / motivations?
- Where will the video be deployed?
- What is the wider strategy for the product and how can the project be made more efficient as a result?
We have lots of equipment at our disposal to make your video as good as it can be, including:
- Body mounted steadicam
- Studio screens
- Lighting rig
So if you have a product that you want to show off using a product video to improve your search engine ranking position, generate more leads and ultimately increase sales, get in touch with us and we can discuss your options.